- When you arrive in Monol, as much as possible, spend a lot of time with different nationalities. There is a limit to improve your English skills if you do not have much time like me. However, if you often communicate and travel with other people, you improve not only English skills but also learn and experience many things while spending time with friends. That is one of the advantages of studying in Monol.
- In my case, I have studied in Monol for 2 months but definitely it is not enough. Before coming here, I got some advice that 2 months is not enough and some people also felt it ended when they were about to be fluent. I totally agree with that. I think if you want to improve properly, it is better to study at least 3 months.
- I am planning to continue studying English thru online classes as soon as I arrive in Korea. To finish one step does not mean I do not need to study anymore. I think ‘after’ my journey in Monol, it is more important to maintain and to continue developing skills.
- If you have free time after classes, I suggest you to watch American dramas or movies. You can learn some expressions on what the native speakers are using. You can download or register to streaming websites and access them in your dormitory.
- You need to prepare a vocabulary book. I realized vocabulary is very important. When you want to say something, the proper words should pop up immediately! Recall and memorize! If you take the time to get words from you vocabulary bank, it might already be too late for you to respond during a conversation. It is better for you to start checking easy words from your high school English books before coming here.
- Bring a tumbler or buy here. Monol has water dispensers at each floor. If you have your own bottle, it is very useful. But in my case, I just buy bottled water time to time, not so expensive 🙂
- Monol is not Sparta when it comes to controlling and managing studying habits. You have to prepare yourself to focus on English and have concrete goals. If you cannot control yourself, it will be difficult to improve a lot the way you want.
- Lastly, I hope Monol publishes a vocabulary book with a list of useful words, expressions and idioms. I noticed that when students reach to some certain level in English, their problems are vocabulary and their ability in applying what they learned. The obstacle to go over from that level to a higher one is only vocabulary, I think. Since everyone knows how important words are, if Monol makes and distributes it, students will appreciate and equip themselves well.